Tuesday, September 12, 2006

In House #1703: Yo La Tengo's I Am Not Afraid of You & I Will Beat Your Ass

It's been nearly a decade since the creative crossroads of Yo La Tengo's I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One, an eclectic modern classic of a release that established the band's sound as something more than quirky garage pop. Hoboken's finest return today with their 12th studio full-length in 22 years together, somehow entitled I Am Not Afraid of You & I Will Beat Your Ass. In a way, it's a return to the adventurous form of I Can Hear the Heart..., what with its faux bossa nova grooves (with Georgia Hubley these days sounding like New Jersey's version of Astrud Gilberto on tunes like "The Weakest Part") along side ten-minute atmospheric drones ("Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind," "The Story of Yo La Tengo") and garage revival rave-ups ("I Should Have Known Better"). One might accuse the band of lacking a unified direction, of musical schizophrenia, were it not for the fact that this is Yo La Tengo's sound. After a slight lull with 2003's Summer Sun, itself not without its gems, the band has returned at its best: diverse, playful, and full of interesting ideas. They return to Salt Lake City on October 17th.

For more YLT fun and the chance to be a part of the ass-beating, visit iamnotafraidofyouandiwillbeatyourass.com.

Yo La Tengo

In House #1703.
Airdate: 9/12/06
Focus: New release from Yo La Tengo, I Am Not Afraid of You & I Will Beat Your Ass, plus new music from TV On the Radio, The Zebras, Slumber Party, and more.

BONUS MP3s-
Yo La Tengo, from I.A.N.A.o.Y.&.I.W.B.Y.A:
"Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind" (MP3)
"Beanbag Chair" (MP3)


PLAYLIST

In House PODCAST #173

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home